We have had our first English Camp experience. This "happening"... um.. happened a couple of weeks ago. As some of you have already heard, it didn't go so well. Not bad mind you, but not the time of our lives either. The trip started on a Saturday. We headed to the bus stop to meet the Korean teachers and the ten children. That's right- we took a bus there. You might think this is nice, but no, this is a mass transit kind of transport. We were told that the trip would take about an hour... yeah, by car! The trip consisted of two buses and a transfer. The transfer happened in the cold and dark of somewhere. Then the other bus dropped us off a bit of a walk down a dark road to get to the "camp," otherwise known as an apartment! Here is the view of the beach from the apartment oh I mean the camp...

I know some of you might not know it, but it can be hazardous to your health if you drink the Korean water straight from the tap (they don't even do it themselves.) So we were amazed to find out that there was no water in jugs like we were told. When we called our boss she said to just boil the water... (and put it where to cool?) Plus the door to the boys bedroom was locked so we couldn't get in. They had to sleep in the living room next to our room (which we had to share with the Korean teachers.) This was not planned as they were going to stay in the living room. I was starting to get sick and Tara was already a bit sick to begin with. With this in mind I bet you can picture the look on our face when we saw the dirty apartment. Mold was growing in the freezer and in the tea pot (the same tea pot where we were to boil the water).

We played some games with kids then "sent" them to bed. The boys kept us up all night... The hard hard hard bed didn't help much, but the super dense pillow was worse.
The next morning we got the kids "up" or rather the kids were still up. After breakfast we headed for the beach for a scavenger hunt... which ended up being "sit on the beach and try to wake up" for the boys.


The girls were a little more in to the hunt... until they saw the water.

Next we headed up the mountain for some more activities. Here is a view from the top:

Now a group photo:
The Boys

The Girls

All in all I guess it wasn't a horrible trip. Minus the trip there, the no water thing, the state of the apartment, the no sleep for a whole weekend, the super unrealistically cramped time table, oh and the not really having a full day off for two weeks... it wasn't all that bad. Oh I forgot to say that we didn't get paid what we thought we would. Let's see if we do this again.
1 comment:
Having just returned from one of these ordeals myself, I can say that the entire thing needs some work. Yes, it is alright, but it could be enjoyable if it was planned more carefully. I guess Aie and I will be doing more of these ... time will tell ...
Post a Comment