So Sunday we decided it was about time we venture out on our own; which turned out to be the best idea we have had yet! We got a hand-drawn map from Colleen and Jake (complete with upside down pine trees) and ventured out to see more of Ulsan than just our block. The entire day was amazing. It was lightly sprinkling when we left which made for some greyness in our pictures, but other then that it was a fantastic adventure. We found Ilsan Beach which was completely deserted (thanks to the rain) and it made for a very peaceful and meditative walk. I found handfuls of beautiful seaglass (in all shades of blues and greens) which I am hoping to make something fun out of. :-) We then headed down the beach to a set of stairs that would make Rocky think twice, but we decided to brave it. Thank God we did, because we discovered the most beautiful park I have ever seen in my life. It all overlooked the ocean and had astoundingly beautiful greenery. We then proceeded to the top of the park where there were little food huts with all sorts of crazy snacks (including live sea cucumbers and some things that looked remarkably like swimming male genitalia...) We decided on something that looked like french fries but actually was some sort of tasty root fried up. Then we proceeded to King's island which is a rock formation made up of bright orange rocks and winding staircases. It felt like something out of a movie.

After that we headed back into town to see the Wal-Bong Buddhist temple which was built in 704 A.D. It was incredibly beautiful with ornate paintings, hidden stairways and mini temples in the woods.
It astounds me that something so beautiful is right down the road from our house. It was an overwhelming day because we took in so much of Ulsan's beauty at once. It was refreshing to get out of our dingy city neighborhood and see some of the wonders around us. I would describe everything in more detail, but we have to head off now to guest-judge a speech contest at the school. So bye for now, and thank you all for reading!
1 comment:
Kip,
Patrick shared this site with me so I can follow your adventures. I know this experience will have a profound effect on you. And may I be the first (well probably not really the first) to say that I think Tara is the best thing to happen to you in a long time.
Post a Comment