Tara and Kip

Tara and Kip

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Other Side of the Story

Hello again.
So since most of our other blogs are fairly cheerful, I don't feel too guilty admitting to the blue days that inevitably come with being separated from those you love for an extended period of time. The homesickness is kicking in and we are missing our families and friends quite a bit. And I would be lying if I said I didn't tear up whenever I think of my amazing pup back home. Don't get me wrong, I still feel like we are meant to be here. All in all I am happy here; but lately I have been getting blue moments at night. Living here can be very difficult at times. Mind you, we are living in a culture where old ladies have no qualms about elbowing you in the supermarkets or glaring at you on the bus. People gawk everywhere you go, and in all honesty, we are little more than a commodity here. We are a white face that makes money for the school. That being said, we are also making good money ourselves, and we are very fortunate to have our job. However, the glaring differences between here and home can wear on you quite a bit. It is exhausting feeling like you are on display at all times. I often feel like a mannequin in a department store window. Simply walking down the street you hear "hello, hello, hello" "nice to meet you" from half the people you see, and you get glares from the rest. So just a five minute trip to the store is an emotional roller coaster, from pleased amusement, to annoyance, to frustration. There are many wonderful aspects to living in Ulsan, but this week I just needed to vent about the crap that comes with them. So thanks for listening to my mini-rant. More happy stuff to follow. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure it will pass =) See you in the morning!